Our History

 
Our congregation was established on May 22, 1853, under the name’ “Immanuel Lutheran Church.” In that same meeting it was decided to establish with the congregation a day school. In June of 1853, the congregation resolved to build its first church building. The edifice was 28 by 18 foot and was located on what is now Western Avenue, just a block west of Washington Avenue. In 1855, the congregation joined the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, which was established in 1847.

 

In 1858, growth of the worshipping community necessitated as a larger building. A building was purchased from a dying church group, located on Washington Avenue, on the south end of Cedarburg. The next year a balcony was added to accommodate the growing congregation.
 
In 1862, a split occurred in the congregation. The group that remained with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod assumed the name, “First Immanuel Lutheran Church.” In 1863, the congregation built a building in the town of Cedarburg for the purpose of worship and day school education. In 1891, the congregation built their first brick church and worshipped there until 1993, when our current facility was constructed and dedicated to the glory of God.
 
In 1953, as part of the centennial celebration, a new school building was erected, with additions in 1963, 1965 and 1996.
 
Following the aggressive building projects of the early and mid-1990’s the congregation set its eye on missions, establishing “Living Word Lutheran Church” in Jackson, Wisconsin in 1999 and “River of Life” in Saukville in 2005, which continues to operate as a ministry of First Immanuel Lutheran. First Immanuel’s outreach has included mission work in India, Mexico, Guatemala, the Dominican Republic, China and West Africa.
 
First Immanuel Lutheran gives thanks for her history, but continues to look forward to the mission our Lord has placed before us.